Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Surprised?

I know it's early in the 2005 NFL season, but there have been quite a few remarkable surprises. If anyone had told me that 2 games into the season, the Colts would have the league's #1 scoring defense, I would have laughed heartily. I have to say that coming into this year, I thought the talk of an improved Colts D was way overblown. I guess while I was impressed with the play of Dwight Freeney, I was still stuck in the Rob Morris days of pre-Dungy defensive schemes. Do I think they can keep it up? Not at this level. They're still too small up front. I think good running teams will do better against them. I chalk up the paltry numbers posted by the Ravens in week 1 to the total lack of a passing game. Kyle Boller has yet to prove he belongs at this level. Heck, he may not even be the best QB from Cal in the NFL.

Some other surprises are just as noteworthy. I don't think anyone can overstate the effect of Randy Moss' departure on Daunte Culpepper. 5 interceptions against a very average Cincinnati defense does not bode well. The majority of them looked like forced throws from a QB trying to do too much. Neither Nate Burleson nor Marcus Robinson will instill as much fear in opposing secondaries as Moss did. Robinson was good (not great) 5 years ago. Burleson may be best suited as a #2 WR. A lot of the pundits are saying that the Vikes will be ok, that it's too early to count them out. I disagree. I think that in a very mediocre NFC Norris division, the Vikes don't have the ability to separate themselves from the other teams.

You know, sometimes you feel good after a loss...ok, maybe not good, but you accept it. After the Falcons beat up the Eagles, I was disappointed. But, I thought they had just been beat by the #2 team in the NFC. Then, the Falcons go out west and lay an absolute egg versus a so-so Seahawks team. Yeah, they came back and nearly pulled it out. So what? They're supposed to be good, right? Good teams beat teams they're supposed to beat...even on the road. Color me unimpressed.

I told you Fins fans last week...two words: Gus Frerotte.

Cadillac Williams looks like the real deal. He runs with aggressivenes between the tackles, and has shown speed for a big back. Interesting to note that the only cold weather road game the Bucs play this year is at New England. Good karma for a running back who toted most of his carries in the warm SEC.

I applaud Jim Haslett for lashing out at the NFL for the farcical "home" game situation they faced Monday night. Paul Tagliabue should be ashamed of how the league handled that. I hope the NFL has the sense not to fine the Saints coach.

Interesting matchup this week pits the Steelers vs the Patriots. Could the Pats go 1-2? Would love to see a little drama in that fairy-tale world. Sorry Chris. Another intriguing matchup has the Irish battling the UW Huskies. Wonderful story line--"old coach faces old team"--still think ND wins big. Plot lines can't overcome the glaring talent mismatch.

For the Glory...

1 Comments:

Blogger jacko492 said...

You made your Blog look easy. Good content ! I'm setting up one called,Viet Nam in Pictures , and would appreciate all the help I can get. It covers viet nam flag and similar topics naturally. Stop by if you have time and leave a comment. Right now I can use any help I can find. ---Jack---

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home