Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year

Quite a hiatus, but I guess it's time to start looking at the BCS Bowls. Plus, I just got done watching the Eagles get beat by the Redskins. So that leads to some introductory comments.

First, the Birds played better than their 6-9 (soon to be 6-10) record for most of the game. The D played better than it had all season, save for the San Diego game. But, it came down to the fact that neither Mike McMahon nor Koy Detmer are serviceable back-up quarterbacks. Too many turnovers, too many poor throws. Now, I know that 90% of us could not name the back-up QB in Indianapolis (Jim Sorgi...from...The University of Wisconsin), or the back-up in Seattle (Senecca Wallace...from...Iowa State University). The NFL is a starters league. Few teams have the luxury of two guys capable of winning big games. The fact is, there has to be a better option than a McMahon or a Detmer. If not, well, then I would make sure my O-line is the best ever, so I don't need to worry about my QB getting hurt.

Anyway, I know that the Eagles have some work to do in the offseason, but I think they're going to be ok. On offense, Ryan Moats and Bruce Perry looked solid, and maybe...just maybe...Billy McMullen will start being the WR the Eagles thought they were getting in 2003.

On D, well...that could be a project. Two rooks started on the line, and looked ok. The LBs looked slow and tired. Dhani Jones is ok, but is too small to play the strong side. Trotter is a slugger, but he's not young anymore. Whatever happened to Keith "The Bullet" Adams? Is our recourse going back to Mark Simoneau? Think that may be a draft priority.

Around the NFL...I hate weeks when things are shored up. Kills my office pool, since I never know what teams will play their starters until I've already turned in my selections...stupid Bears.

Is there a better ball carrier in the NFL than Larry Johnson right now? Tiki Barber is cosmic, and Shaun Alexander is the rushing leader...but 9 straight 100 yard games, and a KC single season rushing record (even though he wasn't the regular starter until Nov)? That's just sick.

Speaking of sick...the college football bowl season has been horrible...awful...disgusting and, dare I say, boring? Sad when the best game to date is a toss-up between Michigan/Nebraska and Tulsa/Fresno St. I mean, come on Miami. At least show up. 40-3? Bet the fine folks at Chik-fil-a were happy to see that flop.

Looks like the curse of the BCS snub got to Oregon, too. A 10-1 season was marred with an ugly 17-14 loss to a mediocre Oklahoma team. Not sure that means that they wouldn't have given Notre Dame a good game, but they looked like they wanted to be somewhere else.

Looking forward to a wonderful day of football tomorrow. Hope it rains. I think the sleeper game could be the Iowa/Florida game. Lots of intresting twists on this one...could be good. Also think that the West Virginny/Georgia game could be one-sided. Not sure there is a team in the Big East that can compete with a powerhouse from the SEC. This game may expose the Big Least for what it is. Thank goodness their automatic bid to the BCS ends after next year.

The Orange Bowl is a couple days away, but already the butterflies are starting. I hope to write more on that tomorrow.

Let's look at some predictions:
Outback Bowl: Iowa 27, Florida 24
Capital One Bowl: Auburn 38, Wisconsin 20...Aubie is the best team playing right now.
Sugar Bowl: UGA 34, WVa 17
Fiesta Bowl: OSU 23, ND 20

More tomorrow, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home