Monday, September 18, 2006

OSU Gameweek

First, let me get the debacle that was the Eagles game out of the way. Losing a 17 point lead in the fourth quarter is the sign of a poorly coached team, plain and simple. After a dominant 45 minutes, the Eagles decided to play it safe, and it backfired big time. This team sorely needs confidence after last year, and can't afford to take any game for granted...which it seems like they did yesterday. Oh well, on to San Fran, which should be interesting.

PSU got rid of Youngstown St on Saturday, but looked far from sharp doing it. Morelli was dreadful, completing less than 50% of his passes (and not getting any to the sure handed Justin Norwood). Everytime he dropped back, it seemed he was looking big. There is enough speed on the edges of this team that they don't need to do that. Use the underneath stuff to open up the big stuff. Defenses can sit in 3 deep zones all day if they know all you want to do is go deep. What ever happened to the good old out pattern...the cross...the hook? I guarantee that OSU won't be giving up the deep stuff.

The running game looked good, but this was YSU. The special teams was awful, as Kevin Kelley missed 3 of 6 tries, all from less than 40 yards. 9 points off the board right there. Those points won't be a luxury next Saturday. In fact, they may be the only points the Nits get.

37-3 makes the game seem like a bigger rout than it was...but, don't the good D-1 teams put 40+ on the 1-AA schools? We struggled to get on the board until well into the 2nd quarter. Not good, my friends, not good.

More on the OSU game later this week...

On a personal note, I finished my first (and probably only) half marathon. I ran the Philadelphia Distance run yesterday. Nice course, nice weather, and I ran the time I wanted. The race was special to me for three reasons. First, my oldest daughter (Peyton) and I got to spend some good time together. Second, I got to see my sister and her boyfriend. They're the last of the family that still lives in Philly, so it's nice to have some roots there. Thanks for having us, guys. The third reason that the race was special is because my dad ran it a number of times. I remember going out to watch him a couple of times, and I thought it would be nice to keep the legacy going. It made me feel good to know that I was, even at my age, still kind of following in his footsteps. And no, dad, I didn't trip!

On to some other stuff:

Maurice Clarrett agreed to a minimum 3 1/2 year sentence for robbery and weapons charges...seems like yesterday he was leading the Bucks to their latest national championship. Hope he takes this time to get straightened out.

The rules changes this year in college football have a lot of coaches up in arms. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard of any coach that is in favor of the new rules. The rules are designed to speed up games by winding the clock earlier, among other things. I don't know about you, but I wish college football games lasted twice as long. I would be surprised if the rules aren't rescinded next year.

Looks like I was right about Chuck Amato getting the boot at NC State. The loss to Akron was bad. The "non-qualifier" argument was worse, and the blowout vs Southern Miss was disgusting.

In fact the state of college football in all of North Carolina is bleak. NC State is awful, UNC needed a miracle to beat Furman (yes, Furman), and Duke has recently hired Kathy Ireland as their placekicker.

Is there anything better in sports than seeing Notre Dame and Oakland lose in the same weekend? Nope.

Well, that's enough rambling for one post...more later.

For the Glory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home